Monday, June 8, 2009

Pesto

This is the easiest meal in the world, not to mention authentic, really good Italian! My toddler loves spaghetti noodles!

Pesto

1, 7 oz. container Pesto
Spaghetti or angel hair pasta

Cook however much spaghetti or angel hair you think your family could/would eat. Cook according to package directions. Drain, return to the pan, had the container pesto a spoonful or two at a time until coated. Enjoy!

Notes: You can find Pesto in the same section as the refrigerated tortellini. At Fred Meyer it's also near the cheese section. Sometimes you can find it bottled too. There are usually a few different brands. Tonight we used, Arthur's Italian Cuisine Traditional Pesto, it was half the price of the other stuff($2.50 compared with $4.99)...and it tastes about half as good, but still good. In case you don't know what Pesto is, it's made mostly of basil, Parmesan and pine nuts...so it is a very green color. The first time I had it I couldn't get past the color...green spaghetti just didn't appeal to me, but I've gotten use to the color and can now enjoy the flavor. On a different note, remember not to overcook your pasta, it should be al dente. Just follow the directions and if you think it still needs more time, don't go much more than 1 or 1 1/2 minutes longer or you'll have soggy, limp noodles, YUCK!
Sometimes I add chicken pieces that I've cut into 1 inch pieces, seasoned(season all, or salt+pepper+a little garlic powder) and pre-fried to the finished pesto, it's really good this way...but tonight I was lazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment