Monday, March 23, 2009

A couple of thoughts

My husband read what I had to say about Pancetta and Bacon and informed me that there is a significant difference in the flavors! So, if you've never cooked with it before and you are "Entertaining", stick to the recipe. If you like to cook with what's on hand; Bacon is an acceptable substitution.
I think it's also important to point out that the longer your pasta is in the soup the soggier it will be. We like it "al dente" (still slightly firm but not crunchy) so only cook it according to its packaged directions. The mini penne that I used last week said 7 minutes so I served the soup as soon as the pasta was done.
As a side note, this soup freezes well. If you are cooking it to freeze, I would suggest leaving the pasta out of the portion you will freeze and adding it when you thaw it, just so you can have it "al dente".

No comments:

Post a Comment