Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pumpkin Soup

Wait...don't get scared off by the title of this post! You will be amazed by the yumminess and un-pumpkin-ness of this soup! It's yet another recipe from my favorite cookbook of all time (seriously, everyone needs this book! And no, I'm not getting paid to advertise it, although that would be nice). The whole the family will love this one. My husband liked it so much he asked me to make it again the next day!

Pumpkin Soup

1 lb peeled pumpkin cut into 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 14oz cans chicken broth
2 cups milk
pinch of grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 oz spaghetti, broken 3 times
6 tbsp freshly grated IMPORTED Parmesan cheese (trust me, it makes a difference)

Here's a quick note, I know Parmesan is expensive, but I've found it's like cheddar cheese, I have to keep it stocked in my fridge. I use it all the time and it is so much yummier than American made Parmesan.

In a large soup pot, melt your butter and then add onion and cook over medium heat for 6 minutes stirring occasionally. Add pumpkin, cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the broth and cook for 15 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to put the pumpkin and onion in a food processor and puree it. Return it to the broth, add milk and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring the soup to a boil, remembering to stir occasionally so as not to scald the milk. Add the broken spaghetti and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from heat, add parmesan and serve immediately!

Enjoy!

I'd love to hear if you liked this recipe or any others so please leave comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment