Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Adapted Pasta and Bean Minestrone

I made this Minestrone again, it's just so good! But this time I substituted the beans and pasta for refrigerated three cheese Tortellini. It was incredibly yummy! I buy this Tortellini when it's on sale and keep it in the freezer so I have it on hand. (I don't buy the wheat, but I couldn't find the regular online, I'm sure wheat is good too!)

Kels Minestrone

3 T. olive oil
1 small onion chopped finely
3 celery stalks , diced
3 medium carrots, sliced (penny's)
1 clove garlic, minced or chopped finely
4 oz. pancetta or bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 cups chicken stock
2 cans tomatoes
1 9 oz package refrigerated Tortellini
salt and pepper to taste (use less salt if you use bacon instead of pancetta)
Real Parmesean, grated (or Grana)

Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot.Using the kitchen sheers, cut the pancetta or bacon and add to the pot. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic and chicken stock, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil(high heat, #10 on my stove), reduce to a simmer (low heat, #2 on my stove) cover (make sure some steam can escape, don't put the lid on tight) and cook for 25-30 minutes. Add the Tortellini and cook according to package directions. Add more broth if needed(some will evaporate, I usually add at least 1 cup more). Remove from heat and let cool slightly before serving. Add 1/4 cup grated parmesean to each bowl-optional, but very yummy!

Enjoy!!!

Variations:

1 can White beans, Great Northern beans, or Cannellini beans with 1/2 cup small pastas or 1 cup larger pastas. (After the soup has simmered for 20 minutes, add the beans bring to boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, add the pasta and cook according to package directions.)

You can also use 1/4-1/2 cup rice instead of pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment