Saturday, April 11, 2009

Chocolate Dessert

I've posted this on my family blog before, but it's private so some of you folk don't have it. It is so yummy! It's a recipe from my great-grandmother. She use to bring it to all the family parties! I've tried it a couple of times and it's always been a big hit! Enjoy!

Chocolate Dessert


1 cup flour
1 cube butter melted
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
9 oz. cool whip
1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cold milk

1. Mix flour, melted butter and chopped nuts. Press into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Cool completely.
2. Cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and half the cool whip. Spread evenly over cooled flour/butter/nut mixture.
3. In a medium bowl, mix well: pudding with 3 cups milk. Spread evenly over cream cheese layer.
4. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add remaining cool whip just before serving.

Notes from the chef:
I altered the recipe slightly for the party. For the pudding I used 1 large chocolate pudding and half of a large Vanilla chocolate chip pudding with 3 cups milk. I liked it better than the original way. Also, if you add the top layer several hours before serving, the chocolate seeps through the cool whip and it doesn't look as yummy. So if you're making this ahead, wait to add the top layer until just before serving.

My aunt has this quote in her kitchen (I can't remember the exact quote), "God made chocolate, and the devil threw in calories on its way down."

No comments:

Post a Comment